For some reason, my mic wasn't connecting to my computer, so Suzanne couldn't hear me. My technical skills are limited to "find headphones jack; plug in headphones; talk." So when I wasn't being heard, I didn't know what to do. I tried a different set of headphones without success. Finally I switched to our older laptop and got things working, but I had to open a new blab, which was such a bummer because it meant that anyone who wanted to watch the live show and participate didn't get the chance, and I'm so sorry about that!!! I wish I could say it will never happen again, but I don't have that much confidence in myself, especially since I still don't really know what the issue was.
Anyway, even though we can no longer get your real-time responses to the questions, we would still love for you to participate in the comments. Please share your reaction to the story, opinions about the characters, how many times you laughed or cried, etc. Let's keep this discussion going!
0:50 - Suzanne finished her master's degree!
1:54 - This month's topic: A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
3:25 - Spoiler-free plot summary
5:54 - What is your favorite funny moment?
- 6:28 - Saab references
- 8:36 - Ipad scene
- 12:00 - Brilliant emotional manipulation
- 13:05 - True to real life
- 14:43 - Ove's personality doesn't change, but our perspective of him does.
- 16:08 - His friends learn how to interact with him.
- 17:55 - Ove and Sonja
- 20:00 - Parveneh and Patrick
- 23:28 - Is their friendship realistic?
- 25:40 - Introverts and extroverts
- 27:30 - "We can busy ourselves with living or dying."
- 28:45 - You can't judge people when you don't know the backstory.
- 30:46 - Suzanne's recommendation
- 33:00 - Amy's recommendation
Links from the show:
Suzanne's review of A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
Suzanne's review of The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
Amy's review of The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
Thanks for watching! And again, we'd love for you to chime in with your questions, thoughts, and opinions in the comments! We'll be back in about a month with another fun discussion about books!